Creek Audio Voyage i20 Integrated Amplifier
The Voyage i20 integrated amplifier was styled to be ergonomic and luxurious in operation. It is constructed using only the highest quality materials to provide a simple to use but high-end stereo experience.
The i20 combines an analogue pre-amplifier and digital to analogue converter with a power amplifier, powered by a unique stabilised power supply, housed in a slim and attractive case.
In producing the Voyage i20, Creek’s engineers have combined several advanced techniques to achieve a hugely impressive powerhouse of an amplifier in a deceptively small case.
The i20’s is extremely flexible, boasting ten analogue and digital inputs. Analogue signal sources may be input via three pairs of RCA sockets or one pair of fully balanced XLR sockets. Gold-contact relays direct input signals to a state-of-the-art MUSES electronic volume and balance control circuit. The MUSES’ resistor-ladder attenuator enables precise adjustment over an 80dB range, in 1dB steps, with extremely low distortion. The i20’s pre-amplifier circuit is normally set for unity (0dB) gain but, if required, each input can individually amplify the input signal, in 3dB steps, up to +12dB max. Each input can also be set to bypass the pre-amp and volume control. This user selectable DIRECT mode allows the i20 to be used as a power amplifier with four inputs, or a combination to suit individual needs.
DAC (digital to analogue converter)
The i20 incorporates a cutting-edge DAC circuit with multiple inputs for USB, SPDIF, optical and Bluetooth.
The i20’s USB Class 2 digital input provides bit-perfect audio streaming potential. Its multi-core XMOS streaming controller can handle a wide range of high-resolution PCM and DSD signal sources, up to 32-bit 768 kHz – PCM, and 22.4 MHz – DSD. To further enhance performance, the i20’s USB circuitry is galvanically isolated from its DAC to eliminate ground loops or interference polluting the signal path. Software updates may be downloaded from the internet via USB, so the i20’s operating system can always be kept up to date.
In addition to USB, the i20 supports 24/192 SPDIF signals via 2 co-axial and 2 TOSLINK inputs, for connection to television sound, CD Players, streamers, and other digital sources.
A “Comet mk2 aptX HD Bluetooth” module is built-in, for handy wireless streaming from mobile or static computer devices, capable of CD quality performance.
All signals are electrically buffered and output via a pair of RCA sockets after passing through a volume control stage.
The i20 has been designed to drive even the most difficult speaker loads with delicacy and power yet be equally at home with simple 2-way monitors.
Powerful Sanken STD03 transistors are augmented by multiple MOSFETs to deliver prodigious power output current if required. The thermal tracking Sanken bi-polar power transistors immediately correct idle current, to accurately control and minimise cross-over distortion and reducing warm-up time to a minimum.
To optimise performance and maintain left right symmetry, Creek has developed a modular plug-in voltage amplifier circuit. Their discrete transistor circuitry and relatively low negative feedback allow input signals to be fed to the power amp without the need of additional gain in the pre-amplifier.
Emitter resistors are a necessary feature of bi-polar amplifier designs but, commonly used high-wattage wire-wound resistors are a source of unwanted inductance and potential non-linearity. To combat this problem Creek has developed an alternative high wattage, low inductance, resistor module, using multiple surface-mount resistors. To improve loudspeaker damping by maintaining the amplifier’s ultra-low output resistance, both left and right channel outputs are channelled through separate 10A relays. Internal wiring is kept to a minimum and isolated terminal posts allow connection by 4mm plugs, spade lugs and twisted wires, as required.
- Power output @ 1% THD: >480 Watts into 2 Ohms, one channel driven
- Power output @ 1% THD: >240 Watts into 4 Ohms, both channels driven
- Power output @ 1% THD: >120 Watts into 8 Ohms, both channels driven (31V RMS)
- Continuous max output current: >10A (sine wave)
- Peak output current: +/-26 Amps, current burst into 0.5 Ohm load
- THD and Noise: <0.002% – 20 Hz to 20 kHz @ 2/3 rated power 8 Ohms
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 102dBA Line input
- Frequency Response: 1Hz to 100 kHz, +/-2dB
- Power amp gain: 33.4dB (x 47) un-balanced
- Pre-amplifier analogue gain: 0dB, 3dB, 6dB, 9dB, 12dB, selectable on inputs 1, 2, 3, & 4
- Input sensitivity: 645mV for maximum power output with 0dB pre-amp gain
- Crosstalk: >80dB at 1 kHz
- DC offset: < +/-5mV
- Pre-Amp Inputs: 4 x RCA (un-balanced) and 1 x XLR (balanced)
- Pre-amp output: 1 x RCA (unbalanced)
- Plug-in Phono options: Input 1 changes to Phono with Sequel mk4 MM Phono fitted
- Digital inputs: 2 x SPDIF Co-Axial – (192kHz 24 bit)<br />2 x TOSLINK optical – (192kHz -24 bit)<br />USB class 2 audio – PCM 768kHz, 32-bit, DSD 22.4MHz<br />Bluetooth – aptX HD
- DAC max performance: Delta Sigma PCM 768kHz, 32-bit, DSD 22.4MHz
- IR BUS: Joins external IR sensor and daisy chain to another device
- Loudspeaker Outputs: Binding posts – 4mm rear and side entry plus spade lug
- Headphone Output (on front panel): 6.3mm jack socket, suitable for headphone 8 – 600 Ohms
- Speaker output impedance: <0.02 Ohms 20Hz to 20 kHz (Damping factor >400)
- Mains voltage range: 230V nominal. Working range – 170V – 265V AC – 50Hz<br />115V nominal. Working range – 85V – 140V AC – 60Hz<br />Factory set, 230V or 115V, not user adjustable
- Finish colours: Silver or Black front panel. Outer cover is black
- Power Consumption: Idle, Max, Standby <20 Watts, 600 Watt, 0.5Watts
- Auto Standby: 30 mins – no signal. User adjustable
- Weight: 9kgs (20 lbs) net<br />12kgs (26.5 lbs) packed
- Size W/H/D: 43 x 8 x 35 cm (17 x 2.3 x 13.8”)